A lesson I did back in March for my adult students was on the Spring/Summer fashion and how to take what we see on the runway and actually add it to our everyday closet, via the sewing room. I thought I would do a condensed version here…..
For Spring & Summer, the designers were all thinking big, bold and bright this year. Big dramatic ruffles and fearless colors. Sunshine yellow and bright candy pink are 2 colors that are seen on all the runways. And there’s only one rule: Wear LOTS of it. Next to color, there’s stripes from bold to banker – and they’re everywhere. Geometric prints are making a splash and metallic finishes abound. It’s going to be a season of unapologetic glam. After seasons of the ’70s, we’ve finally moved onto another decade—the ’80s and all the glitz that implies! Sequins and shimmer set the runways on fire during Fashion Week. Minis are out and long sparkling sheaths are in.
The softer side of fashion includes the most striking florals ever created, worn from head to toe. Designers were flirting with lingerie adding lace and delicate bows & ribbons to everyday attire. And bare shoulders are in every collection. Get set for your most romantic summer yet.
Even the basics need to be reinvented every once in a while and this season it’s the trench coat. Designers were putting a personal stamp on this wardrobe essential. And Khaki once again is playing an important role. Designers are pairing it with floral making it look fresh.
Much more than a trend, the jumpsuit is now a seasonal staple that tops ones’ wishlists as an easy piece for summer. It’s perfect for evening glamour and daytime cool.
Now let’s go from the runways of the world to our sewing room and turn out some key pieces that will take us right into summer.
1. Summer 2017 looks bright. So the first thing to add this year is Color, and at the top of the list is pink, as in candy pink, baby pink, deep cherry and raspberry. The second is yellow, from lemon to fluorescent.
Making a simple top or skirt in a bright color is the perfect way to easily add a punch of color straight away. And the skirts this year are a little longer, moving away from the minis.
A stylish top and one of my favorites is Vogue 9187. It’s a breeze to put together and looks wonderful on many different body types. Pair that with a pencil skirt in a slim banker stripe – perfection.
2. Florals are always showing up in spring fashion. The key is to make them look up to date. McCall’s dress patterns: 7591 or 7595 would be terrific. Full length halter top dresses that bare the shoulders are stylish and tasteful. A nice blouse pattern is M7358, in a floral, would be beautiful.
3. As far as trench coats go, Burda has a perfectly marvelous one! Gathered Trench Coat #103. A different style for Plus sizes, but just as beautiful, Burda Trench Coat #123. Under the trench – Slim pants, cropped at the ankle with a floral sleeveless top.
4. McCalls and Butterick both have the right idea for everyday jumpers with so many to choose from. Billowy, loose-fitting jumpers to semi tailored. Long sleeves with cold shoulder detail and off the shoulder boho styles. Jumpers go together swiftly you can make a few of them up in no time. For an evening look, try Butterick 6130. Very Classy.
5. Evening glam. I love dressing up to go out. Even it it’s just to the pub with friends, I still add a little evening glitz. Lace accents have been in style for a few years and they’re still going strong. So, If you haven’t added a lace skirt to your wardrobe, do it this year. A quick pattern is M6654, and the length is perfect. Also, M6418 is a cute top with lace variations. Pick up some fabric with a touch of metallic threads to make that jumpsuit out of, or a flowy top.
That should get you started! Spring is my favorite time of year. And after a long winter of dull clothes, spring colors are an energetic shot in the arm. Enjoy it!